Friday, August 28, 2009

Some real signs that your child is almost a teen-ager.
Mom
(Turns down car stereo)
"Tell me about junior high. Do you like it?"
12-year-old son
(Turns up car stereo)
Umm....
Mom
(Turns down car stereo)
"How did the math test go?"
12-year-old son
(Turns up car stereo)
"Wasn't a test. Just multiplication and stuff."
Slouches. Sticks feet on dashboard
Mom
(Turns down car stereo)
"Put your feet down. If we had an accident, the air bag would break your legs and you would be paralyzed."
12-year-old son
(Turns up car stero)
Audible sigh and eye roll

This from the kid who always has a lot to say about everything. At least I know the warning signs of impending teen behavior, having gone through it twice before. And I am not worried too much. I know it will go away in time, say a mere five or six, or even seven years from now, when my checkbook is very important, and even sometimes, my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there are very few of us Beth Henkels around, so I would love to follow your adventures and capture some of the humor of being the spam in the sandwich of generations.

    I am also a mother of three, all now at that checkbook stage when they begin to get easier to tolerate on several fronts. And, my mother is in her 80s, awesome in many ways, but she is not living with us. I am with her now in Florida, after she had a heart attack. It's absolutely amazing what they do these days. Two stents in Tuesday and shopping at the mall on Friday!

    ReplyDelete